Friday, April 17, 2009

Give me a second to remember... wait, what was the question?

Within the content areas of teaching, I would like to say that I have many strengths. It's hard to say that though because how much do you really know? I have learned a lot in books and what is to be done "theoretically" but is that truly enough when it comes to teaching? Over the years I have acquired a set of skills with problem solving, time-management, and even public speaking skills. Fortunately for me (and those around myself), I have been able to practice those skills in the real world and build on previous knowledge bases to get where I am at today with those skills. In teaching, it is important to be knowledgeable in your content area, especially when teaching others what you know. In our text it talks about expertise and the different expertise's with learning. I personally have a harder time with learning and comprehending things at first, but over time I am able to become more fluent with my retrieval of information. In the books section of expertise it talks of fluent retrieval and how over time one can get information out of the memory storage quicker. As I teach and become more informed of the classroom I will be able to retrieve said information more easily, as well as answer student questions about a given subject. Once you are able to get passed what I like to call the awkward stage of teaching(your first couple of years) can you truly succeed in the content areas of teaching. Of course, who am I to talk considering I am only a mere sophomore in college with no teaching experience. Yet, even though that is the case, in a sense we go through that awkward stage with any step of life and in a sense it's the initiation into the cool kids club of knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment